Sunday, February 27, 2011

Welcome to the End of the World--Part 3

Day 17
            It happened.  We did it.  IT.  The big “it”; what we were sent here for.  After I broke out the bubbly, Cooper and I started talking.  We told each other about our families, dreams, and lives prior to the island.  I learned that Coop was born and raised in Manhattan, a basic trust fund baby.  He was in his second year of law school and had just gotten engaged when the virus broke out.  Meg, his fiance, contracted the disease early on like my parents.  And like me, he watched as the woman he loved transformed into the kind of monster that should only be described in a Kafka story.  Their fairy tale love story ended with the blast from a gun.


            I won’t lie, his story broke my heart.  I can not adequately express in words the way Coop made me feel that night, but I saw Coop in a completely different light.  I don’t know whether it was the bubbly or not, but he mesmerized me that night. 
            Suddenly, I just wanted to be close to him.  I wanted to hold him, share my raw emotion with him.  We are both so broken, but I think maybe we can heal each other.  What we shared that night was so much more than just sex.  It felt like a release, as if we were being cleansed.  Needless to say, we’ve shared the same bed since, and I’m quite content with that.  We aren’t in love, but we need each other.  Love may come one day, but this comfortable dependence will work for now.

Day 23
            Three words:  fuck this island.

 Day 30
            We found a waterfall on the island today.  Not only do we have fresh, clean water, but we’ve also got a pool and bathtub.  Hey, I’ve decided that since I’m obviously stuck on this island for the rest of my life, I might as well find enjoyment somewhere.  I guess I finally realized that things could have been a whole lot worse.  I need to be content with simply being alive.
            But I refuse to sugar coat this for you, you will never be able to comprehend the emotional pain that Coop and I go through everyday.  We witnessed the end of the world, and now we are rebuilding it for you.  Please, I implore you, actually read what I have to say in this journal.  I am, by no means, a great source of wisdom, but I do have a few ideas about how to fix humanity.
            I have been in my new home for the past thirty days, and I can honestly say that I am years older than when I arrived.  I finally understand who I am and what I was sent here to do.  I’ve got to look at the big picture and see all the people who have a chance now because of Coop and me.  I always dreamt of becoming an artist, but now my mission is to bring life into the world. 
            I am Eve, and this time I will not eat the Forbidden fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment