Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Hair Evolution


Well, I finally decided to hop on the bandwagon and submit my hair evolution to Lovelyish.  Unfortunately, though, I don't have any pictures available from before the age of 16, but that's probably a good thing.  Without further ado, I give you my evolution of hair.

1.(Pictured above) This picture was taken right before my 17th birthday.  My hair is naturally curly (think kinky ringlets), but like all girls with curly hair, I went through the phase were I refused to wear my hair curly.  Also, I thought pink was a good idea for my hair color.

2. Taken around a year later just before my 18th birthday.  You can't really tell, but my hair is dark red on top and black on the underneath.  And as you can tell, I still rejected the naturally curly locks atop my head for a straight and sleek look.  Also, I decided to let my hair grow out, which was a really good idea, I think.

3. Senior prom, May 2008.  As you can tell, the red and black in my hair have faded and you can see my dark brown roots growing in.  I really liked the barrel curls here, though.  It was a nice change from the normal straightness.


4. This was taken during the summer of 2008.  I only remember because my best friend went to Cali for two weeks, and it was during these two weeks that I had the dumb idea to dye my hair black.  Never again.  It's not that my hair looked horrible black, it just ruined my hair.  This picture was taken the day after I'd done it.  Once I washed my hair for the second time, there wasn't an once of shine left.  It took forever for my hair to recover from that mistake.


5. Freshman year of college.  I experimented with color a lot during 2008, and if you can't tell, it was blonde here.  I also decided to give myself bangs, which I still have a love/hate relationship with.  I don't know, I sort of like myself as a blonde.  But if you look closely, you can see how dry and damaged the dye made my hair.


6. Winter 2008.  I decided to give my hair a break from chemicals, and it was just beginning to thank me.  Finally, the shine starts to make its comeback.


7. January 2009.  For some unknown reason, I ditched the flat iron for the curling iron.  Well, not exactly.  I still straightened my hair, but afterward I would always curl it, too.  I know, it seems like that defeats the purpose, but my curls were more kink than curl.  But despite all the heat damage I was causing my hair, I think it was a cute style for me.  


8. And then I decided to chop it all off--what was I thinking?  Oh yeah, and check out that grotesque eye-brow ring that I convinced myself was such a good decision.  I consider this season my Vegas of hairstyles, I'm just going to forget it ever happened.


9. And after I chopped it all off, I decided I was too lazy to continue straightening it.  So I literally just wore my hair up everyday for like three months.  At least it was summer, so I had an excuse to wear it up.


10. Winter 2009.  Finally decided it was time to start straightening my hair again.  And look, I traded the eyebrow ring for a lip ring.  How cool am I?


11. January 2010.  This is my natural color, and as you can see, still straightening my hair.


12. And then I gave my boyfriend permission to cut my hair.  Can I have two Vegas seasons with my hairstyle?


13. Finally embracing my curls!!!  Too bad my face is too round for a short AND curly.


14.  Okay, we're finally starting to get somewhere.  I've got a little bit of length, a little wave, and a whole lot of cute going on with my hair here.  Fall 2010.


15.  Can I please have a round of applause?  After 20+ grueling years of styling, I finally learned how to wear my curls!  This was taken just a few months ago in December of 2010.  I have struggled long and hard to find a happy medium for my curls, and I finally lucked into it.  I still don't know the perfect way to achieve curls, I just know that some days I get out of the shower and my hair looks like this.  Other days, I'm not quite as lucky.


16.  Taken in February of this year.  Just after Christmas, I added some blonde highlights to my hair.  I've got some split ends, but for the most part, I think my hair is cute.  As you can tell, I still straighten it, but I also give my hair breaks from heat, too.  


17.  This picture was taken just about two weeks ago, and this is what my hair looks like when I don't do anything to it except towel dry and comb.  It's frizzy in some places, but if I put a little bit of anti-frizz serum in it, it looks great.

There you have it, my hair evolution.  I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to hair styling these days.  And please, forgive me for all the duck faces.  I have no excuses.  Which hairstyles did you like the best?  And which ones should never be revisited?


Bonus:  This was my wig from Halloween.  But I really wish my hair were that length, texture, and color.  I'd love it.















No comments:

Post a Comment